Before discussing the procedure to perform Netsh Winsock reset, let us first discuss what it actually is? It is a common troubleshooting step for resolving certain problems with your PC such as networking issues etc. Netsh Winsockreset command is a prompt program to reset Netsh Winsock reset catalog back to its factory settings.
If you are a Windows user, then your Windows socket which is Winsock should work properly in order to make a program go online. To perform Netsh Winsock reset all you are required to do is run a simple Command Prompt command. Whenever you feel that your Windows is having a problem while connecting to the Internet or some other networking issues then you must perform Netsh winsock reset.
Steps to perform Netsh Winsock reset Windows 7 and Windows 10
Windows 7 and Windows 10 users can go through the following steps to perform Netsh Winsock reset successfully:
- From your Windows navigate to the right side of your screen and click on the “Search” option.
- Next, type CMD and hit the “Enter” key. This action will open the command prompt.
- Here you have to type “NetshWinsock reset” and then press the “Enter” key.
- When the resetting will get finished, your screen will display a message saying “Winsock reset completed successfully”.
- Once it is done, you have to restart your system to finish NetshWinsock reset Windows 7 and Netsh Winsock reset Windows 10.
(Note: Windows 8, 8.1, and Vista users can follow the same steps as mentioned above.)
Netsh Winsock reset mac
Since Mac doesn’t have Winsock, so you cannot perform NetshWinsock reset on it. However, the Airport reset in Mac can be used to get similar results for which the steps are given below:
- First of all, you have to click on the icon which represents “network”. You can easily find this icon available at the top-right corner of your Mac.
- After this, you have to select “Turn Wi-Fi Off” or “Turn Airport Off” from the drop-down menu.
- Now, wait for a minute or two and then click on the “Network” icon once again.
- Wait until the Wi-Fi or the Airport restarts.
- In the end, reconnect to your default network before trying to use the Internet again for visiting any website.
How to run Netsh Winsock reset as administrator?
To run Netsh Winsock reset as an administrator, you need to perform these steps in a similar manner as discussed below:
- Go to the “Start” menu by clicking on the “Windows” icon present on the left-hand corner of the screen.
- In the search bar, you have to type “cmd”. You can easily find the search bar available at the bottom of the menu.
- When the search result for Programs appears, you have to right-click on the cmd option.
- In the next step, select “Run as administrator”.
- If you have set a password on your computer, depending on it, you will be prompted to enter the admin password so that you can continue easily.
- Now, your screen will display a black box with a flashing cursor. (This is the Command Prompt).
- Here you have to type “Netsh Winsock reset”.
- After this, hit the “enter’ key from your keyboard.
- Now, you have to wait for the Command Prompt to run through the reset.
- Once the process gets finished, your screen will display a message saying “Winsock reset completed successfully”.
- In the end, you just have to restart your computer to save the changes.
Hopefully, this has resolved your network connectivity issue.
What is the use of Netsh Winsock reset command?
The most significant use of Netsh Winsock reset command is that it allows you to display or modify the network settings of your Windows PC that you are currently using. It also provides you with a feature to run a group of commands in the batch mode. This means you can run this command against a specified computer.
At times, you might come across a situation when your Internet connection is OK and you are still not able to access any website. In this situation, Netsh Winsock reset proves to be very helpful. You can also fix pop-up errors and DNS lookup problem with Windows network connectivity.
Is Netsh Winsock reset safe?
If you are worried that Netsh Winsock reset will pose any problem to your system while using this, then the answer is no. And, yes Winsock reset is completely safe to use because it resolves our network connectivity problems in not time. The most important thing to keep in mind while using Netsh Winsock reset is that you should be certain about the cause of the connection problem first and then use it.